A Further Bing SEO Update

Just a quick one today following on from my look at how Bing could be ranking sites yesterday.

I have had comments here on the blog, on twitter and even by email looking for a little more proof that Bing is putting their main emphasis on domain age and target anchor percentage. For anyone who missed the post yesterday, target anchor percentage means the percentage of backlinks that are anchored with your target keyword.

Today I wanted to back up the evidence from yesterday with some more lovely figures :) I decided to use linkscape and the SEOmoz tool set to take an indepth look at the keyword “make money”. I chose this one due to the competition and the fact that most sites targeting this phrase are heavily optimised.

Below are the results and again I have circled the areas “I” think Bing are putting the most emphasis on for ranking purposes.

The two sites are:

Experienced People – Number 1 on Google for “make money”.

Making Online Money – Number 1 on Bing

Bing SEO

Some Points To Note

1 – As you can see from the above table the Google site is far better optimised on page, more quality backlinks, more target anchor links and a far superior PageRank. This makes it easy to understand why Google ranks it so high but why does Bing not?

The only thing I can put this down to is the fact that the Bing Site has a more focused link profile in that it has a higher percentage of anchored backlinks. It also is an older domain slightly, on every test I have done the domains have always been older than those on Google.

2 – Bing are obviously not taking the amount and quality of backlinks or PageRank into consideration or their top “make money” site would not stand a chance. PageRank 2??

3 – Something I picked up on from both sites was that very little link juice passed through their target anchor links. This says to me that you don’t need your anchored links to be high quality in order to pass on relevance.

4 – In order to rank higher on Google you need to view SEO as a total package leaving no area under optimised. If you want top results on Google ,who have around 80% traffic share, you need to be systematically implementing SEO on and off page.

In my opinion from the evidence I have collected, Bing are putting a strong focus on domain age and target anchor link percentage. It won’t allow many spammers to get good rankings for competitive keywords but what it will do is create a lack of freshness among their results, something Google accomplish with ease.

Thanks

Tim

PotatoChef June 5, 2009 at 5:29 am

I woke up bright and early today and checked my Google Anaylitics to see if Bing showed up. It did! What was interesting is that Bing sent me more traffic than Yahoo and MSN combined. Still not in the neighborhood of Google but still some traffic.

Tim June 5, 2009 at 5:51 am

I’ve had a little, around 7 – 15 a day for the last few days. Because it’s new people will be testing it out. I really don’t think it’s going to rival Google, but you never know.

TopherF July 18, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Great stuff, Tim. Thanks.

I’m relatively new to SEO – ok, VERY new – and it’s articles like these that keep it interesting. It’s all “fun”, I suppose, but articles with charts make it even better. Peace!

Tim July 18, 2009 at 4:33 pm

@Topherf,

Glad you liked it, I have been meaning to do a little more research, it’s just finding the time. Hope to see you around again.

Thanks for the comment

seo singapore September 29, 2009 at 2:51 am

Thanks for sharing this information. Been looking around research abount the unique different SEO method for Bing.

Tim September 29, 2009 at 3:23 am

@seosingapore,

Thanks for reading.

Make Money with Google Adsense February 18, 2010 at 4:41 pm

I have never had any success with Bing…Google is my bread and butter and Yahoo comes to the party some times…but Bing? Clueless? Probably less volume from them though, so maybe I just don’t consider it that often.

Tim February 19, 2010 at 2:11 am

@ MM adsense,

All our research suggests Bing is struggling to collect any real search share only partially beating yahoo, Google is still the search engine of choice by miles, and I don’t see this changing in the foreseeable future, however developments in twitter and facebook and making for interesting avenues to traffic, the problem with them is getting targeted traffic.

Geoff March 9, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Great food for thought. I’m real excited to see how Bing does to take some of Google’s market away. I read a great Economist article on it. Well, maybe not GREAT but it was the economist talking about my profession.

Tim March 10, 2010 at 2:18 am

Bing is gaining a little ground but Google still dominates. It is hard to see how that is going to change.

Chris Lunn June 14, 2010 at 6:02 am

Hi Tim, great posts and great blog which I’ve only just discovered. I’ve encountered some issues recently between bing and google so it’s good to get some outside thoughts on it – thanks! From a personal point of view I’ve found bing to be really poor in comparison to google. I know a lot of people be-grudge google for making an industry out of SEO but from my perspective it’s just another form of good old fashioned competitive marketing – and those who are taking it seriously deserve to prosper from their investment. Looking at bing it’s clear to see that they are adopting a different approach which for me as a user, doesn’t live up to any of my like-for-like comparisons on google. Anyway, I’ll continue to continue the quest…

Tim June 15, 2010 at 1:46 am

Hi Chris,

Bing is not there yet, far from it. I think it does have potential if it makes itself more open to SEO and letting webmasters know how to rank higher. People set up websites to make some sought of impact on the world, whether it be promotion or to make money directly, Bing needs to let business know how to rank higher, then it would get more attention. There is a chance for Bing to hook up with Facebook, this is an interesting partnership but we will have to see how open graph pans out over the next few months.

Gary from Lawn Mower Reviews March 27, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I haven’t really used Bing that much (I guess I’m a die-hard Google user by habit), however I read a really interesting post on Matt Cutts blog where I think Google had setup some dummy keywords and websites to rank for them. He said that Bing claimed they did not base their results on Google results, but what he found was when he typed in these ‘nonsense’ keywords that he had setup in google, the same sites were returned in Bing. Quite interesting I thought.

All the best
Gary

Tim March 28, 2011 at 3:37 am

There are definitely similarities between Bing’s and Google’s results, however there are some obvious differences as well, such as domain age etc…

I think on longtail terms any search engine has to base rankings purely on onpage factors and that is probably why they return similar results.

Ashley Burton May 8, 2011 at 4:32 am

Thanks for the info, I’ve definitely found Bing’s interpretation of search terms to be quite different – part of the reason why I don’t use it. That said, it is gaining ground and I think we’ll all have to consider Bing as an important source of traffic in the future.

ulla June 7, 2011 at 1:45 am

thanks for that article, quite what Iwas searching for for my German employer.
Since you wrote it more than a year ago I was wondering whether you found some new and interesting facts about Bing and their ranking factors. Any more recent studies made?

thanks for your help!

Tim June 23, 2011 at 1:25 am

Hi Ulla,

I thought about doing more ranking factors but the sheer amount of search traffic coming from bing makes it seem a little pointless.

Across our 100 strong profile around 85% of search traffic now comes from Google, it’s difficult to justify putting any effort into Bing which only delivers around 6% of search traffic.

Maybe something before the end of 2011 :)

Suraj July 24, 2011 at 4:57 am

nice post keep it up

Taxi Bucuresti November 4, 2011 at 2:14 am

This research is great. However from a SEO perspective and as a Google fan I must say that I don’t like the factors you end up with for Bing. The fact that no fresh results are in Bing SERPs I think will be their doom. People are used to blogs and youtube and news to be in their result pages. So they will search on Google…
I just don’t think Bing is making a good job. If earning links with targeted anchor text is hard, what about domain age. Should we go buy old domain names so we can optimize for Bing? This is ridiculous.

seomoneymaster November 9, 2011 at 9:19 pm

thanks for the share…..really that is good job for us.i hope you will be published more information in future

Tim November 10, 2011 at 3:46 am

I think you’re right, this research is a little old but even now Bing are not staying on top of what is fresh and relative, now Google have that angle covered, Bing should have entered the market place 2 – 3 years ago with a business model focussed on delivering fresh results and real time news, instead they have let Google beat them to it again.

SteveJohnson April 11, 2012 at 3:16 am

These tools are helpful for others but my website http://www.addenda.us so many time, even its daily updated

jason September 12, 2012 at 8:48 am

I found that trying to rank a new site in Bing is near impossible.

I am trying various ideas and found yahoo answers does help your rankings a bit.

{ 7 trackbacks }