Link Building in Competitive Industries – ionSearch Presentation.

I delivered a presentation earlier today focussed on the recent link algo changes in Google and the unnatural link messages that are being sent out.

I ran through some attributes of a natural profile and how we can develop processes to compliment natural link building.

A lot of this has been published on the blog before, but for reference here it is:

PaulB April 18, 2012 at 1:11 pm

G has to be really careful with how far they tip the balance, for instance whats to stop me building this same profile for my competitor? Wouldnt be hard since these links are cheap and easy to get. Part of the reason people didnt invest much in “google bowling” before was the uncertainty of it working, but now theyre more or less confirming that it will work so what do they expect black hats to do?

P

Tim May 1, 2012 at 1:33 am

I think there is a risk of negative SEO due to the changes, however I would say a site that has a solid profile is not going to be affected by it, and why would you spam a site that wasn’t performing in the SERP’s.

Hopefully the issue of negative links is something Google will address.

SEO Andy Manchester April 21, 2012 at 7:09 am

Hi Tim, it was great to meet you at ionSearch.

Heard all about your speech, shame I missed it but was glad to see you on the experts panel.

thanks again

Tim May 1, 2012 at 1:02 am

Thanks Andy,

It’s been a busy couple of weeks for me, so sorry for the delay in responding. I enjoyed the ionSearch conference, I’m sure it will be on again next year and will be attending whether I am involved or not.

Ashley, cutey April 23, 2012 at 2:51 am

I think links have and always be a problem, people aren’t daft they know the value of a link and except to get some value for linking out.

iDCx May 13, 2012 at 5:45 am

Pow – giving it away on the proverbial plate there Tim – really good slides and truly a guide to what i’ve seen deliver results pre/post latest update, similarly re. the removal post #penguins

What could I add… erm… well – to be fair, the only point I could raise is – “we arn’t meant to have any control over the links to our sites” thus removal is somewhat tentative at time – so i see you say for “seo purposes” and alas that covers that – mmm – your “dangerous now” links (slide 5) bit is somewaht worrying as that leaves pr and you slated that not long ago, but heck, for the price – agreed…

ahhh alas, this penguin update has seemingly seen a rise in ppl wanting training on our end… and notably all my clients have gone up – but more a kin to ppl being removed yea ;-0

one common denominator with the sites im seeing/ aware of being pinged are those that have too much bloody money and dont know how to use it effectively – but your keyword bit sums it up – those 15 keywords for the inner pages – love that idea Tim.

variety is the spice of life hay!

Good slides – great info! Love it.

iDCx

Tim May 14, 2012 at 12:32 am

Hi,

I’m not a fan of link removals, however after having a few email exchanges with Mr Google, I have to advise clients that’s what is needed. What I would say is that any removals should be done in line with fresh ‘quality’ link building, try and stay away from anything non-editorial until your site/s have recovered.

We didn’t see many issues from Penguin to be honest, a couple of traffic dips but nothing significant. The main issue we are having at the minute is trying to recover sites that were hit with the unnatural links notice, it seems Google won’t except anything less than 100% removal, very frustrating.

It’s tough time in SEO at the minute, we seemed to have dodged the bullet in many ways, but trying to convince penalised websites to spend 12 months worth of investment undoing what they have been doing for the past 6 years is painful, but as always, this game keeps you on your toes.

Thanks for the comment

Simon November 13, 2012 at 10:54 am

Just referencing slide 6 which shows a graph of a paid link profile, with the DA / No. IP’s. What shape on the graph would a natural profile have in your opinion?

Thanks.

Tim November 14, 2012 at 9:54 am

Well, typically a natural profile will be a lot flatter, maybe weight slightly towards links with lower authority as there are more of these types of websites around. We tend to see a good number of links at the lower end and then slowly levelling out as you go up the authority scale, slowly and gradually, rather than a huge spike.

Simon November 14, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Interesting. Does that approach slow down the ranking process, as you gain the authority links slowly? Guess it makes sense. Issue I find it I am naturally attracted towards higher DA sites when doing outreach etc.

Tim November 19, 2012 at 5:50 am

I think in the last 12 months ranking time scales have taken a hit, the SERP’s just don’t react how they used to, instead the focus has to be on quality/target audience/relevance being tied into to your SEO strategy. It’s more about building a solid profile, rather than just flicking the anchor text switch.

Simon November 19, 2012 at 6:22 am

Agreed. Also G is much better at detecting manipulation e.g link velocity, anchor text and DA spread as you pointed out. I guess anyone can pile up high power links if they want, paid or otherwise but what takes the leg work is earning genuine links from industry influencers. You can get some authority at the beginning of a campaign using sites like Yahoo Dir, Business.com and PR.com – expensive though!