Advanced SEO Strategies for 2012

As with the last set of slides, I will be adding some commentary later.

Jason Acidre February 28, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Awesome deck Tim. Really liked the thought put on each slide and got something that I can use on my future posts :)

Martin February 29, 2012 at 8:02 am

I use Colibri Tool (http://colibritool.com/) it’s the finest software to track your position on Google and find competition of your online business. I highly recommend it!

Tim March 1, 2012 at 7:49 am

Thanks Jason, glad you found it helpful.

Kieran Flanagan March 2, 2012 at 2:01 am

Hey Tim

Great presentation. I am interested in slide 27 – Cumulative SEO benefit and where you say expect 12 months to break even. Could you explain that a little more. Do you guys tell your clients it will roughly take 12 months to break even on their SEO strategy and then after year 1 they will be in profit ?

Thanks

Kieran

Tim March 2, 2012 at 2:17 am

Hi Kieran,

This was just a rough guide, but yes, most clients we work with won’t break even on activity for at least the first 12 months.

e.g. if a client invests £120,000 in year one of an SEO campaign, then year two is when we would expect to start clawing that investment back.

There are tons of variables to this, competition, budget, starting position and a little luck :) You can try and speed up the return by targeting quick wins and using the attack/defend strategy (on one of the other slides).

Once you have 12 months under your belt, you should be able to switch targets, build out new terms without overly increasing the budget. It’s a longer term plan but the ROI in most cases far out weighs PPC. On average SEO is 4 times more profitable than PPC when analysing over the course of 18 – 24 months.

Kieran Flanagan March 2, 2012 at 3:04 am

That’s really great info for clients. I haven’t seen many agencies explain it can take up to a year to see a ROI. Totally agree with that approach, but you guys must have clients who are pretty savvy as I know the average company thinks SEO should be generating a return after a couple of months.

Tim March 2, 2012 at 8:26 am

I think companies expect to see results after the first few months, but actually delivering a return is much more difficult.

So if I invest £10k a month for 3 months, it’s highly unlikely I am going to see an extra £10k a month in sales after month 3. Instead I should expect to see a gradual lift in sales and at the 12 month point be looking for £10k a month in sales, and throughout year 2 continue to see an increase, which is when the return comes into play.

John Rampton March 27, 2012 at 10:37 am

What is your biggest tip for newbs? I’ve been in the online industry for a while and have found that going back to the basics has gotten me the best results. What do you recommend?

Matthew March 29, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Tim, you’re absolutely killing it. Love your work man, love your work.

Tim April 1, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Cheers Matt.

Just got your email as well, appreciate it.

Tim April 1, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Sounds obvious but I would say, get a content plan together.

The way Google is changing makes it difficult to use short cuts, so:

- What is it about your site that makes it link worthy?
- Is the content that links to you ‘real’? Or is it a dry article with a random anchor text in the middle
- What can you create to engage people

You need links to rank, however I would advise making your content/site/product link worthy first, then focus on producing content to use in outreach that links back to you for a reason, not just because it mentions a certain keyword.

Think I might have to throw a post together.

Short code July 12, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Dear TIM,
In Slide 11, You Mentioned Use ‘Brand’ and ‘Noise’ signals.
I never Listen These Words in SEO. What is this? Can you Give some Example.

Tim July 19, 2012 at 1:28 am

Hi There,

I mean using anchor text that isn’t targeting the keywords you want to rank for:

Brand = your domain/business name
Noise = get more info/visit my site/

Etc….

Just need to diversify and make your link building look natural

Short code July 19, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Thanks Tim.

Charlie L. August 11, 2012 at 12:01 am

These are NOT new. These are OLD tricks in the book, well for me.

Fedobe August 22, 2012 at 1:18 am

Awesome Post man! Really Awesome!!!
Always you have updated the new techniques.

Kunjal November 1, 2012 at 1:47 am

Thanks Tim. You have really post nice ideas for SEO. But still I am confused.. is it really work nowadays where google has updates their panda and penguin algorithms. ?

Tim November 5, 2012 at 2:42 am

The tips in the presentation are what we actively use to deliver results, yes we’re always tweaking processes, but there is nothing in here that would be subject to Panda or Penguin.