Build Links Faster For Better Rankings – Possible ‘Freshness’ Algorithm

Well it’s been a crazy start to 2011 but I thought it was about time to update you with something I am finding is working really well, it also goes against conventional link building advice.

Much has been said about link building rates in the past and the fact a huge spike in your links could suggest manipulation and therefore get you penalised, however much of what I am seeing is suggesting the polar opposite.

So just to clarify many SEO’s including myself have advised natural link growth;

natural link profile

Some recent link building experience goes totally against this theory suggesting that links that come through in mass, in a short space of time have a better impact on rankings than ones that are developed over time.

I have seen this play out on multiple client websites and carried out a little test just after new year.

• 2 websites
  • 2 optimised internal pages targeting the same keyword
  • 10 links built from the same blogs to each site

I used 10 blogs on a network I own to write a post for each site on every blog. Each had the same anchor text links the only difference was I built Site A’s links over 14 days and Site B’s in 24 hours. Both sites had 0 links before this and were registered last October to target similar niches.

Here are the results;

link building results

Think you can guess which day I put site B’s links live? That’s right day six and on day 7 it jumped into the top 50 of the SERP’s leaving Site A behind.

(Sorry I can’t divulge the sites or linking sites, they are part of a network of sites I’d rather keep secret)

There seems to be a ‘freshness’ algorithm in play, Google rewarding links and anchor text that seem to mimic a viral nature.

I am probably going to get slammed for not divulging the sites but I work with this stuff everyday, if you don’t believe me it doesn’t cost much to test it :)

If you want some serious increases in rank try saving your links up and setting them live within 48 hours.

David January 17, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Interesting as ever from you, Tim,

Without saying too much about your network, can you say whether you created the network with separate registrars, web hosts, etc for each of the domains?

Tim January 18, 2011 at 5:49 am

Sorry David, I should have added this in the post.

I have all the blogs for this test registered at two different places but all kept on the same server, same A record etc…. I know Google can shut down IP’s or penalises on a certain IP group, however unless a network id outed and manually penalised they still seem to carry the same amount of weight as if on separate IP’s.

PotatoChef January 18, 2011 at 10:10 am

By pure coincidence I always save up my links until I get between 20 and 40 before I post them all in one day.

I have never really tracked the move up the serps becuase of this but I do recall always being surprised that a url that was way down in Google popped up in the top 20 or so overnight. I just never made the connection.

Tim are you still tracking or experimenting with “brand” links?

Tim January 18, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Hi Pchef,

I used to notice this activity when using profile links on some of my sites, however I never really noticed it when putting blog posts live. I think now Google is updating the index quicker this has had a knock on effect on rankings.

Brand links? Yes very closely, there are some strange things playing out at the minute, one technique I am trying is brand to the home page and highly optimised deep pages, it’s working pretty well.

EvenWhiteHatSEOersUseLinkFarms January 19, 2011 at 2:28 am

I have a beef with you Tim along with all these other self proclaimed white hat SEOers. Especially those who sell their services to clients whilst stating that they never do anything shady or blackhat and that all their optimisation methods follow Google guidelines and are completely whitehat and legit. Yet secretly behind closed doors they are utilising their link farms and paying for links on blogs. I hate SEO. Its all a load of bollocks.

Tim January 19, 2011 at 3:05 am

Wow hi :)

When it comes to arguing white/black hat etc… you have to first think about what that actually means. To me personally speaking, black hat is cloaked content, automated spam and link dropping. If you have a network of sites with unique content, does the fact you use if for links make it black hat? Every technique for building a link is an intentional process wether it is writing viral content or emailing a webmaster you’re still after the same result and wouldn’t do it otherwise.

Any type of marketing is about getting your product or service in front of consumers? SEO to google is writing good content, clean flat architecture, on page optimisation and tell people in your niche. It’s ‘tell people in your niche’ bit that is ambiguous and Google doesn’t help webmasters with this in any way. So SEO’s try there best to figure out how to make it work either by asking, writing, building buying or exchanging links.

As far as SEO been ‘bollocks’ is concerned I really don’t agree

A) it works

B) Companies invest millions in it

C) to do it right requires a healthy obsession with the SERP’s

The reason why SEO is here and here to stay is because it turns a nice website into a genuine business that pulls in ££££

I think the best thing for you do is forget about the word white hat, I with my clients try and even with SEOwizz now, try my best to acquire links that are relevant and pass value to the user as well as search engines. Yes I do try greyer techniques but instead of having a beef with it why not just try it? There are no morals in the world of TV, Radio or even PPC advertising, why take beef with SEO?

35metod February 1, 2011 at 5:05 am

interesting post, Tim

too little time to draw the correct conclusions. possible that the site is also sharply lower rank soon, I have seen such cases

Ryan T February 6, 2011 at 3:43 am

I’m VERY impressed with this blog. Just found it.

Thanks for the post Tim.

Anyway, I’m confused when you say “…one technique I am trying is brand to the home page and highly optimised deep pages”

I think you mean brand names anchor text to the homepage but keyword optimized (but still varied) anchor text to inner pages?

Please correct me if I’m wrong, thank you.

Tim February 6, 2011 at 11:54 am

Hi Ryan,

Thanks, yes that is exactly what I mean. Historically you would always target your top keywords at the homepage however I am finding that by keeping the homepage brand focused and using highly optimised internal pages works well.

ppc marketing services March 15, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Brett Alan June 2, 2011 at 8:55 am

Great insights. Nice to see someone challenging the status quo of link building recommendations. Could we get an update on this? Have your “viral” rankings remained consistent over time or did it result in a rank and tank type situation?

I’ll be duplicating your test over the next couple of weeks.

Tim June 6, 2011 at 6:32 am

Hi Bret,

Yes rankings have remained consistent, well as consistent as rankings can be in Google these days. We have recently started rolling out press releases in line with some quality blog marketing, around 300 links going live in the matter of 2 days. This really impacts rankings.