Analytics + Optimised Content + Anchor Text Links = More Traffic

Yes the title sounds obvious right? Of course optimised content and traffic equate to more traffic duh! But where do analytics fit in?

Well I have banged on enough about long tail keywords on this blog but guess what? I am going to do it again as this is a really simple technique for increasing traffic almost immediately by doing a little research in your own analytics.

So enough talking head over to your Google analytics and get your last month’s worth of keyword data. This will show you all the results you were found on over the course of the month but we need to do something a little extra before we begin to dig a little deeper.

Scroll to the analytics filter below the keywords;

Analytics keyword filter

Select advanced filter and choose visits. What we want to do is check out visits that brought us 20 visits or less over the month. These will probably be very long tail keywords that we rank for and with a little bit of tweaking we can increase traffic on them.

Let me go through an example, I have filtered the results on SEO wizz and have come up with the following;

keyword filter result

Like most people long tail keywords drive around 60% of my total search traffic, as I look down the list one immediately stands out;

seo content writing

A quick rank check on an incognito window shows I rank 4th for the term “writing seo content”, I am probably only receiving around 5% of the traffic on this keyword and with a little optimisation I can probably rank second or first, remember there is a huge difference between ranking first and anywhere below;

search share on google

Information from SEOmoz’s recent post;

As you can see ranking second will double my traffic on this keyword and ranking first will increase it nearly 9 times!!! So I currently get 19 visits but can probably add 20 to that a month with 30 minutes worth of work. If I carry out this sort of optimisation on all long tail keywords I can probably increase traffic from 5749 to 40,000 a month.

Now don’t get me wrong this is very labour intensive but just imagine the benefit if you do a couple of hours per week? You could be increasing your traffic significantly every month. Next steps?

Find the keywords > Optimise the page > Fire a few internal links with anchor text > Fire a few external links with anchor text!!……. Easy :)

Just a quick note to everyone that has emailed me in the last few weeks, I have been run off my feet at branded3 hence the lack of responses; however I still love you and will reply asap.

PotatoChef May 10, 2010 at 4:32 pm

I, for one, am going to test this out. I have one site that has about a year and a half of information just waiting to be mined. If I can replicate the results that you are hoping to get then it will be a big boost for the site and hopefully my income.

On a side note…It’s better to busy then to sit around and wish you were busy.

Tim May 11, 2010 at 12:43 am

Hi Pchef,

Of corse the tactic in the post is very time consuming and I have only managed to do 5 keywords since christmas, this is due to my schedule but if I had more time I would really dig into it. Saying that some of the results I have seen on 5 keywords (bing seo keywords) have been impressive and I now get around 2000 more search visitors a month compared to christmas gone, yes rankings have increased on major terms but I have seen each keyword double in terms of traffic, some have trebled.

Good luck anyway and definitely is better to be busy.

Ivar January 12, 2011 at 3:19 am

With the recent update of Webmastertools – showing a bunch of new search information now too – you can do a lot of investigation as well.
One of the interesting things there is that it actually shows you the number of times your link was shown, positions in the SERPS and the CTR.

Have to say that the AOL list is probably less than accurate, especially since the 3 adword links above the actual search results take away quite a few clicks. Many of the ‘common’ searchers don’t see the difference between the ads and the results, thus clicking one of the 3 ads.

Tim January 13, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Hi Ivar,

I here what you’re saying with regards to adwords, however 80% of searchers click on the natural results so there is still plenty of volume there. I work with a number of sites with position 1 rankings and to be honest depending on industry CTR tends to be about 25 – 30%.

Rob Thomson November 28, 2011 at 8:08 am

I know this is an older post but this is some great information to know for me while I try to update and optimize my real estate websites. I’m going to test this out and see where we go.

Are there any other tools you recommend for traffic prediction for keywords?

Tim December 2, 2011 at 2:25 pm

We tend to use the google keyword tool, top 3 position generally drives between 8 and 15% of exact searches.

Brook March 16, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Love the graph of % of hits. I had no idea the first result had such a higher visit ratio. Where do you get these stats from?

Tim March 18, 2012 at 4:12 am

It’s actually a little out of date now, you can find the updated version in this post, http://searchengineland.com/organic-click-thru-rates-tumbling-study-97338 , not quite as bigger jump as has been previously thought.