Fresh Content = Indexed Content = Recognised Page = Recognised Links

Post image for Fresh Content = Indexed Content = Recognised Page = Recognised Links

I don’t think I really need to say anymore than the above title really, but feel I need to raise something as some people are obviously not getting it. Let me just give you a snippet of quite a rude email I received only last night.

SEO Wizz, I have been reading through your tutorials now for the last 6 months and quite frankly I think they are inaccurate and misleading. One of the link building methods you seem to make a big deal out of is article marketing, after implementing what you taught I have to say this technique is laughable and only newbie’s and amateurs must try it. How can you call yourself an SEO consultant whilst giving such lame advice??

As you can imagine this took me back a little, I know the SEO advice I give works because, well, I use it :)

Anyway I thought to myself should I entertain this email or delete it with the daily spam I receive; I decided to email Mr X back.

After a few bits of correspondence I realised this guy had suffered at the hands of money making scams and online opportunities for the last 3 years and was still getting nowhere. This made me feel kind of sorry for him so last night (still only 3 hours after receiving the initial email) I had a look at his issue. He sent me the articles he had wrote and where he had submitted them.

Things were pretty much in order, good length article, good English, structured nicely and anchor text at the bottom, OK there seems to be an issue.

I couldn’t figure out why these links weren’t counting until I started looking at all the articles he had published in the last month in the author sections.

All the articles were similar with literally one or two words changed in each paragraph, after another email I discovered he had been spinning multiple copies of the same article.

Ahhhhh!!! Everything makes sense.

So here’s the problem and if you have been spinning articles you might want to read this;

Fresh Content

This is the fundamental principle anybody performing SEO should know. Google needs fresh, unique content, I am not just talking about on your sites but on any page you decide to get a link from, if the content is copied or even if it is slightly changed, the chances are the page is not going to be indexed.

Indexed Content

If a page is not indexed any link you have on that page will not count, it is a waste of your time and energy. Why would Google want to give you credit for a link from a page it can’t even be bothered to add to the index??

Making Article Marketing Clear

If you are going to article market, fine, however don’t expect great results by writing 1 unique article and spinning it into 20 (for anyone who does not know what spinning is, it is when you make some of the words in the article variable and software changes the phrases between articles). If you are going to article market correctly you need to write a new piece of content each time, this maximises the number of links you will receive back.

Will only one copy of your article be indexed?

If you write an article and publish it on 30 different directories you may notice that only ten of the directory articles get indexed therefore you have 10 links. These articles will no doubt belong to the article directories with established domains and domain authority. So why publish to as many directories as possible??

Even the low value directories will hopefully increase in authority and trust, therefore one day your article could be indexed, however if your article has been spun 20 times and is published on the same domains the chances are it will never be indexed despite how powerful the domain is.

Are You Against Spinning Articles?

I am not against anything that works and doesn’t get your site banned, unfortunately article spinning is a technique with limited effect. If you are going to spin an article I would suggest creating 4 to 5 variations on each paragraph and having 3 variable titles, on top of this spin it 5 – 7 times max but don’t be surprised if it is rejected from the major directories. This will still not mean all are indexed but it will up the chances. You may consider this a little grey hat but if it works and doesn’t cause a penalty why shouldn’t I tell you?

So to finish up, content needs to be fresh and unique not just on your own site but on any content network you use to get links.

Article marketing works, every internet marketer out there knows this and is implementing some form of article marketing strategy to rank highly. The guy in the email was simply lost in a world of lies and scammers, it’s a shame but it’s a learning curve many of us have to come through.

Like I say to anyone struggling at this game, if you want to know how to rank, study and listen to those that are doing it.

PotatoChef October 25, 2009 at 8:28 pm

WoW…Really good to know. I am about to launch a new blog and my plan was to link to the posts from as many article directories as I possibly could.

I had heard (read) that if you just change minor items in your original article you could submit it for a link over and over again and everything would be ok.

Guess that turns out not be true. Glad I read this post before I wasted my time.

What do you think of Unique Article Wizard?

Tim October 26, 2009 at 3:10 am

Hi Potato Chef,

Article marketing is still effective but spinning articles with only minor changes, in my opinion isn’t worth it. If the article directories let it through the chances are Google will slap it with the duplicate tag. If you going to spin my advice would be to make as many variable keywords as possible, but then why not just write a few other articles?

I have tried UAW unfortunately I found by the time I had prepared 1 article with it, I could have wrote 3 from scratch that looked an sounded better. Just my opinion.

timethief October 25, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Thanks for publishing this excellent article. I’ve had similar conversations with other bloggers, who would not take my advice, which is the same as yours. so it’s good to be validated.

Tim October 26, 2009 at 3:07 am

Hi timethief,

It’s the same as anything really, there are loads of techniques available to use but using them correctly is the difference between success and failure, sometimes the only way you find out what works is through experience, thats what I attempt to impart here.

Mike McEvoy October 26, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Article marketing does work and there are a number of different ways to approach it. I can see how Mr. X was having problems if all he was doing was spinning the same article and submitting it multiple times.

I recently came across a service called ArticleRank that provides a spinning tool and then distributes the “spun” articles to various web sites that have signed up to receive the content. This way the content goes to actual sites and not just article directories.

Rather interesting but as you mention the process of creating new sentences, phrases and titles in the spinning process can be rather time consuming. The ArticleRank sites leaves a lot of other questions unanswered such as what if your content ends up in “bad neighborhoods” and do they submit spun versions of the same article to the same web sites.

They also refer to their distribution as a “drip process” but it is unclear how many sites the articles go out to at one time or where they go (publisher’s sites are confidential). The site is in beta and the first several article submissions are free. I think I prefer to stick to article directories.

Tim October 26, 2009 at 1:11 pm

@Mike,

Article directories work well and have never let me down, however you do get to the point where you need links from a more diverse range of IP’s. This is where sites like the ArticleRank you mentioned come in, I don’t want to endorse them but do have a few things to say on the matter.

Firstly if you are going to spin articles I recommend changing 5 to 6 words per paragraph, they won’t all stick but it ups the chances. Secondly the sites you submit to if part of a content network need to be spam free and filled with unique content, therefore it is no good submitting the different spun versions to the same IP or domain. I know of content networks like the one you mentioned, there needs to be plenty of domains, filled with genuine unique content and all having white hat links pointing at them, if it is a white hat network then you are fine.

Like yourself I personally like to use article directories as the best ones rank well, however using content networks is not always a bad idea as long as they are white hat and allow you to put a link within the content, thats my opinion anyway.

Ricky November 1, 2009 at 3:31 am

I see many bloggers using article spinning software to get many backlinks. To be frank I don’t feel sorry for the above guy as he was not doing the right think. In blogging world there is no shortcut. One must give some time to his blog to grow naturally. Thank you for the wonderful article :smile:

Tim November 1, 2009 at 5:11 am

Hi Ricky,

The reason I felt sorry for him is that he was acting on rubbish information that he truted. We all sometimes fall for the scams out there. It’s like I say in the article, unique fresh content is king, even when it comes to link building. Spinning is a simple technique however if you don’t know how to use it to your advantage you end up doing a lot of work and getting nothing from it.

Thanks for your comments

Karen November 12, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Hey Tim

Nice article and very useful info … we work with clients on a daily basis who are only just beginning to understand the importance of creating unique content. It takes time for the message to get across, but when it does, the amount of work out there in the interwebs for good writers will be infinite!

cheers from downunder,

Karen

Tim November 13, 2009 at 2:54 am

Hi Karen,

Thanks for dropping in.

It’s true when people discuss unique quality content people automatically assume it is for their own site, whilst this is true you also need unique quality content to distribute for links, having the same article distributed all over the place is only going to do so much. It’s a much better idea to write unique articles or snippets and try to get them published on high PR sites.