With Enough Links Anything Will Rank!

As you will no doubt of heard Google have rolled out there new Caffeine preview, showing previews of what the search results pages will look like in a month or two months time.

However the launch of this new interface has taught us far more than how the SERPS will look in a few months time. It has also taught us that if you throw enough anchor links at a page it can rank for anything, even without using the keywords.

Ok let me show you what I mean before I rant :)

This is a search in Google for “Caffeine” -

google caffeine

hmmm… I wonder if more than 1% of people searching caffeine are looking for the new Google experiment and Matt Cutt’s blog.

All that has happened is webmasters have been linking back to these pages like crazy with the keyword caffeine somewhere in the mix. If this type of link building had have been aimed at any other page (unrelated to caffeine the drug) it would have been classed as Google bombing and taken out of the index for that result within days.

Even though this is kind of funny it also shows Google’s vulnerability to anchor bombing and the power of anchor links. This happening proves that your content does not really matter only the anchor text of your backlinks.

This is a short post and one really to emphasise the power of links.

I agree that a lot of emphasis needs to be put on links but Google need to try and prevent content entering the index that is in no way relevant to the keyword being searched for. If the keyword is not included anywhere on the page does this not give it away a litte??

I think the above example sends out the wrong message as SEO should be and usually is more than just firing a load of anchor texts at a page.

Google should do the right thing and remove the pages from that keyword search.

What does everybody think?????

Matt August 25, 2009 at 7:31 am

I have to agree with you that the new algorithm has the potential of power linking. I am not happy with it to say the least, but Google has needed a overhaul for quite sometime. Since it is only a preview there is no telling where it will go from here. My guess is that they will update ‘caffeine’ as much as possible the moment of launch. It basically will end up being a roller coaster for all SEOs.

Tim August 25, 2009 at 9:31 am

@Matt,

To be honest with you I am already feeling the force of Google turbulence on my own site and on clients. For example my sometimes ranks 6th for “google seo” then within an hour it can be 3 pages back. I know a lot of this relates to the data centres Google gathers it’s information from, but still it’s becoming more and more unpredictable. I guess the way to steady the ship is to have raw link popularity.

PotatoChef August 25, 2009 at 2:48 pm

I’m a firm believer in links. If you want to rank then you need links. I’m pretty sure Google is not going to change that. But relevancy is important and they need to address it in a major way.

Tim August 25, 2009 at 2:52 pm

@Pchef,

I completely agree a site with no links is pretty much invisible in the competitive market. The thing i don’t particularly like is the fact the power of links seems to override everything else including relevant content. If the keywords are not used on page then the page should not rank, yes take links into account but don’t forget relevant content.

John Chen August 31, 2009 at 4:38 am

Nice take on this. I was expecting more caffeine roundup, refreshing to read something different for a change. go blackhat SEO! I have a feeling there were some manual adjustments for this. Matts blog is now on page 3 for caffeine and doing a search for caffeine in caffeine only brings up the caffeine sandbox on page 1.

I’m getting a little tired of typing the word caffeine, lol. But if your readers are interested I have written a pretty detailed post on ( You know what ) here. http://bit.ly/1F8R1t

BTW followed you on Twitter :)

Tim August 31, 2009 at 5:09 am

HI John,

Thanks for the comment and the follow, I’m sure we’ll have some decent exchanges.

Matt’s blog does seem to have dropped back but Google (sandbox) and the webmasterblog are still sitting on Page 1. I do think they will eventually drop as the algorithm kicks in, but in my opinion it’s simply saying to spammers, hey throw enough links at you page and you’ll rank for a couple of week make $2000 and then just start again once your site is drop kicked.

They really need to speed up the link bombing side of their algo.

Seo London September 1, 2009 at 4:01 am

Links makes your site more visible and pays for a long time as well as they should be relevant for best result . Google is not going to change this if it changes this then real time search would come into complete existence.