Google Caffeine Update – See Your Future Google Ranking

Caffeine Update

Just a really quick post today but one I think you will all be interested in.

Yesterday Google announced it’s new infastructure and has been trying to get some feedback on how this new system will effect the search results. Visit webmaster central blog or Matt Cutt’s Blog for more info on the update.

The part I am interested in is being able to get a sneak preview into how the search results are going to look a few months down the line.

If you visit http://www2.sandbox.google.com/ and type in a search query you are monitoring you may notice some differences in the results that are displayed. It is basically giving you a sneak preview into the future index.

This obviously can’t take into account the work done on a site between now and then, so results will obviously differ a little but the most significant thing I noticed about it was that authority sites seemed to take a jump.

For example I target the keyword Google seo, so when checking the results I currently sit around 8th, however I drop 2 places on the new results to the bottom of the first page :(.

On the other hand Matt Cutts rises to second from around 4th or 5th. I know this isn’t a big jump but on the face of it, it seems as though it is his sheer link popularity that is the difference and domain popularity.

I plan to look at the change in results a lot closer before trying to establish why the changes have been made, I just thought it would be a good idea to spread the word and let you guys have a play around with it.

I hope this is going to be an on going feature, being able to see into the future results, it will help you establish if your current stategies are moving you in the right direction.

Anyway have fun checking your search terms.

David August 12, 2009 at 2:40 am

Good article.

I tried it and I can see an immediate change, which is that as a new site with a unique name – Quillcards – we have to get over the hurdle of being recognized at all by that name.

Google previously asked me whether I meant ‘quill cards’ but happily, no longer!

Tim August 12, 2009 at 3:02 am

Hi David,

It takes Google a while to recognise a new ‘brand’. It always suggested ‘sea wizz’ for seowizz, It took around 3 months before it stopped treating as a spelling error. I think it’s just a matter of time and building links. Great news on the recognition anyway :)

SEO Guy August 20, 2009 at 8:49 am

Hi Guys,

Here is a very cool tool I found on Digg, it is http://www.goobinghoo.com
It offers the ability to check BING vs. Google and Google Old vs. Google Caffeine Update. Pretty Useful.

Tim August 20, 2009 at 9:14 am

SEO Guy,

Thanks for that, good little tool to have in the collection.

Brain Injury Lawyers August 20, 2009 at 11:07 pm

do u know on caffine you are now at 8th position . but on normal , you no where upto 2 nd page

Tim August 20, 2009 at 11:15 pm

@lawyers,

Which keyword for? I have been tracking my rankings on both Google and Caffeine for about a week now and to be honest the rankings jump around quite a biton both, my “google seo” ranking always jumps between 14th and 7th, sometimes it can change hourly. I always know when its really dropped off the first page as my traffic sinks for that keyword.

Brain Injury Lawyers August 21, 2009 at 5:15 am

Yes Mr. Tim , I am talking about http://www.seowizz.net on “Google Seo” Keyword. You are on the 1at page on http://www2.sandbox.google.com . But you are on 3rd page when i searched this keyword on http://www.google.com

Tim August 21, 2009 at 5:18 am

@Lawyers,

I literally got dropped down two pages over night, it will be back on the first page in a few days, Google likes to do this every now and again. I think it’s because SEOWizz is still only 7 months old and needs a little more time to hold stable rankings. Either way if Google predicts that where I’ll be in the near future it’s all good :)