Google Keyword Competition – A Quick Way To Assess Your Chances

I want to post a quick tip today about selecting longtail keywords for your seo campaigns. I have mentioned many times before that your blog is the perfect place to target longtail keywords and posted on it last month in “how to optimise your blog”

In the post I dicussed using the goolge keyword tool to pick longtail keywords to optimise your posts with. Today I want to discuss a really quick way to evaluate your competition for that keyword so you can create the best results with your posts.

Let me start by sharing a fairly simple example.

SEO Wizz ranks 3rd in the UK for the keyword “google expert uk”, for this keyword search there are 8,100,000 results. Wow high competition right?

At the same time I rank No.1 in the UK for the keyword “google seo“, there are only 311,000 results for this keyword, but guess what “google seo” is the most competitive.(I can’t help but smile discussing this, ranking for “google seo” within 3 months of launching this blog :).) I

OK confused?

When you type a keyword into Google search, the results brought back are based on sites that COULD be relevant to your query. For example.

Google Expert UK

Google will bring back results that maybe relevant to:-

- Google
- Expert
- UK

Assessing each word of the phrase you have used.

When you compare it to the keyword “google seo”, you can see why the above would bring back more results, however results and competition are two completely different concepts.

A quick way to assess the competion of a keyword is to check the title tags of the pages in the results. Sometimes the keyword with the most results is the most competitve however there is a more accurate way to determine this.

Try and follow, as I explain the process to writing this post.

OK so I took a surf over to my close companion the Google Keyword Tool. I knew I wanted to write about “keyword competition” so in went the keyword.

Keyword Competition = 1900 searchers per month

Ok I’d love to rank for that, let’s check out the competition.

- Type “keyword competition” into the search box.
- Forget the results returned
- What your going to look at is the amount of sites with the keywords “keyword” and “competition” in the visible title tag.

See the above image to see what I mean by “visible” title tag.

“keyword competition” seems to be pretty competitive. You have to go right back to page 20-21 before you start seeing the optimised titles fizzel out. I am not saying you cant beat any of the sites on the first 20 pages, I am simply saying getting to the first page is going to prove a difficult task for one post.

Anyway…..

I take a look down the keyword suggestions in Google’s tool. “Google keyword competition” stands out. Only 78 searchers a month but it may be worth targeting. Again let’s look at the competition.

If you look at the first couple of pages for “goole keyword competition” you will see that a lot are optimised for “keyword competition” but not “google keyword competition”. I am now beginning to think this could be a keyword worth targeting.

So you have just read a post highly (if not a bit overly) targeted for my chosen keyword. It’s only 78 visitors a month but it’s only one post. Plus I am fairly confident this post will be sitting on the first page for the keyword “google keyword competition” within a few days.

I hope this can help you optimise your blog and start pulling in some of that lovely free traffic.

Thanks,

Tim

Kai Lo February 20, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Very confident Tim! You are right that you are #2 for both “google keyword competition” and “keyword competition”. I found this post when I typed in “keyword competition” :)

Good job!
-Kai

Tim February 21, 2010 at 7:41 am

Hi Kai,

I forgot about this post, quite an oldy. Good to know I am still ranking for those terms, even though traffic on them isn’t what it was…hmm

Gouri May 13, 2010 at 6:32 am

That’s amazing! It’s 2010 and you’re still sitting on the first page of Google for all the three keywords. I found your blog searching for ‘keyword competition’ though.

Leonardo June 22, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Tim, I must say this information is probably more valuable than 80% of the $47 ebooks I’ve invested on in the past.

I was trying to prove this theory on my head and when I suddenly stumbled on this post. It is absolutely an exact case study of the exact theory I was thinking.

So, thanks a lot! I owe you one on this gold mine info…

Leonardo June 22, 2010 at 5:03 pm

In addition..

Would you say that your high website page rank which is currently at 4 contributed a lot to you being able to dominate the rankings for those keywords?

Or do you think that formula will work regardless of the site’s page rank value?

Tim June 23, 2010 at 1:24 am

Hi Leonardo,

Thanks for your comments I appreciate it.

With regards to the PR, yes it definitely does assist in higher rankings, however when I wrote this post I only had a PR3. I think if your smart about the keywords you target PR doesn’t really matter. I was ranking in the top 5 for SEO techniques back when I had a PR 2.

The Human CpU July 19, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Hey great post. I use to just guess what keywords are best and that always didn’t pan out. Sometimes I would hit big, but mostly a waste of time. That was before I got into real SEO researching. I never looked at the competition stats till now, thank you for inspiring me to do so.

Modern Bed Frames February 16, 2011 at 6:08 am

Thanks for your optimization tips. Low search keywords can make good profit,
because everybody can rank well by using right methods.

wow March 10, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Wow! You’re a genius. Great tip.

Jerry Thull April 15, 2011 at 12:29 pm

You came up tops on this search “explain the competiton thing on google keyword tool” in April 2011. Interesting stuff.

ASP.Net Halifax May 11, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Awesome tips here – I’m starting to see SEO isn’t as magical as I used to think.

Thanks!

Marriage Events June 26, 2011 at 6:25 am

The more competitive a keyword is, the harder it will be to rank higher. You can just search that perticular keyword and see how many site have that keyword in thier title meta tag to check your compitition

Hein Hoang October 27, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Thanks, very good tip. I will try your method soon.

Buddytweets January 6, 2013 at 8:14 am

I found the page serching for:keyword competition checker
You were ranked on #4… Very interesting that you rank on many other terms than what you target. I think page age, am your authority might play a role.
It can also be that Google have used their SERP bounce rate to give this page a qualety stamp? It is probably possible to se in analytcs if the impression/click rate is good for the page?

Gices Abraham March 31, 2013 at 10:45 pm

How about taking the top 10 results and analysing the link data (unique domains and anchor text), domain age, indexed pages and social metrics to determine competitiveness of the keywords? Wouldn’t that give a better insight?