Why Page Rank Means Nothing

OK maybe the title is baiting slightly but I am here to tell you today that Google PageRank is not the determining factor as to you ranking for targeted keywords. PageRank does play a role but I personally feel it holds less weight than another factor which is keyword theme, or as I like to call it the “line of relevance”, I have used this SEO Blog to discuss this factor many times.

Right time for me to back up my PageRank claims and show you this is not simply something I have plucked out of thin air.

First of all let’s start with a google.co.uk example and one from my own niche;

Search “seo consultant” on google.co.uk and you will get the following site listed at number 1:-

Ben is a well known SEO in the UK and ranks at this position with a PageRank 3 and the domain maturity is slightly over 3 years. OK I take it the sites below must simply have a lower PR right??

Well here are some sites below:- http://www.timnash.co.uk/ (another well known SEO) and http://www.seo-consultant-services.co.uk/

As you can see both sites are highly optimised for the keyword “seo consultant” with the latter even including it in the URL. The big surprise however is that they are both PageRank 4….. Why are they not ranking above Ben??? Before I answer that let me show you another radical example from google.com this time.

Type into the search “make money” before anything else notice the 212,000,000 competition, WOW the sites at the top of this niche must have a PR 7 or 8 surely???? Well let’s take a look at this;

No.1 Alan Liew’s http://moneymakerinfo.blogspot.com/ PR 3 and a blogspot blog (Blogspot blogs all ways do well in SEO terms)

No.2 Grizzly’s http://makemoneyforbeginners.blogspot.com/ PR 0!!!!! and another blogspot blog????

Are you starting to get my point, just to show further proof take a look at this site sitting in No.5 for “Make Money” http://entrepreneurs.about.com/od/homebasedbusiness/a/makemoneyonline.htm again a highly optimised site for this keyword and guess what it’s a PR5, thats right a PR5.

Why is it not stomping all over these blogspot blogs and taking all that highly profitable traffic??

Well this is something that if you didn’t know about, may come as a shock and that is “PageRank does not determine keyword rankings or has very little weight.”

I also wanted to add that the 2 “make money” sites use techniques that I don’t exactly agree with, there not black-hat but very grey and I have a feeling Google may start clamping down. I would tell you what the techniques are but do not want law suits.

The Line of Relevance

The “line of relevance” is a little creation of my own but I am sure if you know anything about SEO it will ring a lot of bells as I explain it. This is how you really rank for keywords, this is how you dominate competitive niches.

Right, as we all know Google is all about relevance, on page – off page relevance. So what is the line of relevance.

Lets just take a look at how Google crawls a page first;

Off page link text -> Title text -> Meta text -> Heading Text ->

IMG/Body Text -> Outbound Link text

For the sake of keeping this simple let’s say we are optimising for the keyword phrase “how to ride a bike”

Off page Link text = “how to ride a bike”

Title text = “Learn How To Ride A Bike Today”

Meta Text = “how to ride a bike, learn how to ride a bike, bike riding tutorials, biking lessons”

Heading Text = “How to ride a bike”

IMG/Body = “bike riding, learn to ride, how to ride a bike, bike riding tutorials, biking lessons”

Outbound Text = “biking, bike riding, riding bikes, how to ride a bike”

This is a very simple example of the “line of relevance” all the above areas need to be optimised towards 1 – 2 keywords and all should overlap in terms of relevance.

However this is not the end of it as millions of sites could simply duplicate each other, so what is the secret to getting to the top…… Well in all honesty it’s hard work and patience. You need to build as many anchored links as possible and your domain age will play a significant role as well.

(Note: Don’t use the same keyword eg.”SEO Tips” over and over again in your anchor text, use variations “search engine optimisation tips” “SEO Advice” “SEO lessons” “Search Marketing Tips”……. Thinks of different variation of your keywords!”

Anchored text is the main way of ranking high for any given keyword and keeping your “line of relevance as focused as possible”.

I hope all fully understand this and if not simply get in touch via email or comments.

Catch ya later

Tim,

Robert Bravery August 31, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Excellent Article.

Too many people are worried about page rank, that they forget about Quality Content and god SEO.

I have had an artilce go from zero to #4 in page 1 of Google within an hour. Thats my record. Not because the page had good PR, but because it had good content and ranked well for the chosen Keywords.

Tim September 1, 2009 at 2:16 am

Hi Robert,

Thanks fo the comment. As Google evolves pagerank is becoming less and less significant, editorial links are now the focus and these types of links do not come from high PR pages, Quality, keyword focused content is the way, along with sustained link building.

Kai January 16, 2010 at 11:09 pm

Tim,

I have to disagree with you on this one. The reason why you are seeing PR 0 on that make money online blog is because Google hasn’t updated his PR yet. He was actually between 2-3 during that time you were doing a keyword analysis.

On a sidenote: your search isn’t working at the top right corner.

-Kai

Tim January 17, 2010 at 5:18 am

Hi Kai,

The article was referring to toolbar PageRank, Griz had his PageRank stripped from a PR4 to 0 for what looked like a paid links penalty. Yes it is making it’s way back up but slowly and yet keyword rankings have hardly changed. With the 27000 links griz has his PR should be a lot higher, but reagardless he is still ranking thianks to anchor text.

The article was simply stating that toolbar PageRank as a metric is inconsistent and unreliable. I am sure Google’s proper PR metrics are 100% reliable but what they show us in the toolbar doesn’t really mean much in terms of ranking for a set of keywords.

Kai January 17, 2010 at 10:29 am

Yea, he does have a lot of junk backlinks. Most of his backlinks have PR 0. He did get his site banned from AdSense though, but he has a lot more niche blogs. He uses some crazy grey hat strategy and he might get penalized again!

UK SEO Consultant May 2, 2010 at 4:35 am

Good Post – I agree that PR isn’t that important.
Toolbar Pagerank is usually a good few months out of date so you don’t really know what a sites true PR is, and Pagerank is only actually a small part of the entire system Google use for ranking sites, so even if it were up to date, you’re still only looking at a tiny peice of the puzzle.

In Google’s own words :

“We use more than 200 signals, including our patented PageRankā„¢ algorithm, to examine the entire link structure of the web and determine which pages are most important. We then conduct hypertext-matching analysis to determine which pages are relevant to the specific search being conducted. By combining overall importance and query-specific relevance, we’re able to put the most relevant and reliable results first.”

So Pagerank (The name is pretty confusing, seeing as it’s called this because of the name of the guy who invented it, Larry Page) is just a part of the whole. Just how drinking plenty of water is a part of a healthly lifestyle to help lose weight – if all you do is pay attention to that part of the whole, it won’t help – same with pagerank, it’s not the be all & end all by any stretch of the imagination, and you don’t actually know what the pagerank is as it’s months out of date – so personally I ignore pagerank, I keep my attention fixed on SERPS positions, traffic & conversions, that’s the only true way to be sure that what we’re doing is working.

Tim May 2, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Thanks for the comment, couldn’t have put it any better myself.

Duffers2010 January 12, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I am going to ask all of my clients to read your blog post. Even now they are still obsessed with Pagerank – Pagerank was a buzzword from hell that has taken me a long time to try and overcome with clients that have new websites. Fortunately once they see real results in the search engines they seem to then forget all about Pagerank!

Tim January 13, 2011 at 1:32 pm

ouch, ye they need to leave it alone, it is pretty much worthless now.

Muslim Marriage Events June 26, 2011 at 2:42 pm

The page rank dosnt mean much with rankings. I have beaten sites with a PR3, and I have no PR on mine.

cayenne red September 23, 2011 at 10:05 am

well said, page rank is for self satisfaction only, its better you focus on site quality

seo-expert-mumbai February 29, 2012 at 3:30 am

Page rank is very important factor in seo. Google decides the trust of the page. Higher the ranking higer priority by google to the the webpage.

SEO Consultancy June 19, 2012 at 8:18 am

I agree PR has very little role in search results, content relevancy and back links are most important.